Discuss Back injury prevention in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

james hailwood

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Anyone got any ideas,help,tips for preventing back pain? Ive had surgery 3 years ago on my L4/L5 herniated disc and has been pretty stable since, but this last week my back has gone again. Its a real disability im sure some of you understand when not being able to move freely. I wear a compression belt at work everyday. Heads up my arse tbh!!

W

White Room

If its that bad maybe time for a change of career, with the kind of bending, lifting and twisting involved.

O

One Day

Anything you can do to strengthen core muscles will help.
Core strength is about preventing the movement which damages spines.
I also swear by a good osteopath 3 or 4 times a year to correct minor problems - put stuff back in place etc...

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
I'm currently working with a herniated disc and it's horrible. It's painful, I'm working at half pace and driving the van or just being a passenger in our car sends my left leg numb. I'm due to be reassessed in 2 weeks but am seeing improvements. Given the option I'd have taken surgery months back. Hope you can remedy your back soon @james hailwood, have real sympathy for you.

james hailwood

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I'm currently working with a herniated disc and it's horrible. It's painful, I'm working at half pace and driving the van or just being a passenger in our car sends my left leg numb. I'm due to be reassessed in 2 weeks but am seeing improvements. Given the option I'd have taken surgery months back. Hope you can remedy your back soon @james hailwood, have real sympathy for you.
Cheers rich, had the chiro out this morning which has helped a bit. Gonna continue with him for a bit. Nothing worse than disc pain. He said to start working smart n less gung ho carrying big heavy tools, tiles etc. Need to be smashing core more too. Plank n side plank is great plus foam rolling hips n IT band daily

Kyle Knowles

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Anyone got any ideas,help,tips for preventing back pain? Ive had surgery 3 years ago on my L4/L5 herniated disc and has been pretty stable since, but this last week my back has gone again. Its a real disability im sure some of you understand when not being able to move freely. I wear a compression belt at work everyday. Heads up my arse tbh!!
Look.up the reverse hyper by a man called Louis Simmons he's a lunatic powerlifting coach he knows his stuff also look up.joe rogan on YouTube he suffered with serious back issues and his podcasts could teach u a fair bit

james hailwood

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Look.up the reverse hyper by a man called Louis Simmons he's a lunatic powerlifting coach he knows his stuff also look up.joe rogan on YouTube he suffered with serious back issues and his podcasts could teach u a fair bit
Just checked out the reverse hyper on JRE looks spot on, ive turned my dinner table into one haha cheers dude

Kyle Knowles

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
They also make a kind of head harness u attached to ur door frame and hang from.ur neck for spinal decompression

O

One Day

It's true that core strength really helps prevent back injury.
While that reverse hyper looks good - I doubt it'll do much for core muscles though, and I'd warn against attempting it with a bad back.
Core strength is from your hip flexors and obliques, as well as many other internal muscles, which instead of working to lift, twist and move you are there to PREVENT movement which could damage.
Read up on hip flexors - I'm convinced it's these that protect our backs far more than ripped 8 packs and strong lower back muscles.

O

On one

Not sure if this will help in your case @james hailwood.......
From the age of 18-35 I had chronic back pain that nothing seemed to help, not physio, not painkillers, not even a horse chiropractor(yes they do exist!)
But after another painful episode that had me doubled up, I went to an ex NHS doctor who practiced privately doing manipulation ect ect.
I could immediately see why he was an ex NHS doctor.......shocking bedside manners!
For 18 of the 20 minute appointment he would preach this and that, ie sit up straight(FFS I have a bad back)
The other 2 gems he came up with were........Don't have bath! and in the middle of the night get up and have a walk about!. Now at this stage if I could have hit, if I didn't have a bad back!
What he meant was to have a shower rather than a bath, so I duly fitted an electric shower over the bath and despite it taking a number of years to come to fruition, touch wood I am (back) pain free.
The thinking being that the warm water manipulates your unsupported spine into an unnatural position when you have a bath.
I drew the line at his suggestion No2

Reply to Back injury prevention in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks