Discuss Average Earnings & 5 Day Course? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

A

a1tiler

Re: North East Tiling Training - Tyne and Wear

hi all,
i would like to know what the average earnings are like in the tiling industry, i am thinking of a career change. i also want to go on the five day course.

S

Scottish Mark

welcome to the forum mate where in the country are you? As earning can vary as for a 5 day course do some research but as you can see the feed back from the NETT course it speaks volumes if you have any questions please feel free to PM me:happy:

P

Paul Sh

Can't really say how much as i ain't making anything yet, one thing i will say is.......... don't pack your job in straight away, a few have done this and it has bit them in the butt, i also wouldn't take notice of the £30.000 a year, some might make that sort of cash but very few will, i don't want to be the one who bursts your bubble but you must look at it realistcly as it aint as easy as some make out, good luck with whatever you do, you never know, you might be one of the really really really lucky ones.

G

grumpygrouter

Have to concur with Paul, just started myself. I did a 4 week course, it has cost me the best part of 5 grand to get up and running (no van!) and I am just picking up my 2nd proper pay cheque tomorrow. Work doesn't come flooding in, it has to be sought initially, and yes it is hard work if you are a one man band. How I could have done with an "apprentice" this week!!

Great job satisfaction though when it goes well. Good luck.

PS During my course I felt after the first 2 week that there was no way I could go out and do paying work. Some pick it up quicker than others but there really is a lot to learn.

E

enduro

:) Tiling is a good buisness to get into, but it wont happen over night, it takes around 3 years to get a buisness up and running properly, what you need to do is check out how many other tilers are in your area, ring them up and ask them what they charge a sq metre. if your in it just for the money your in the wrong game, you have to enjoy tiling, and have a flair for it. keep your overheads low, try and get some weekend work tiling before you decide to jack your job in, incase you dont like it, im not trying to put you off, i did a course two years ago and the first year was hard but its getting better and better now. good luck what ever road you decide to take.

W

wivers

Like some of the guys said the money side is always difficult to predict. Prices and earnings differ in different area's. You will have good months and some bad months, but it more than makes up for in the fact that you are your own boss and have no-one to answer to apart from the mrs.

As for the 5 day course mate personally i'd try for a longer one if your gonna go for any. Also take alot of time in chosing the right one as there are a few about that really don't give you enough for your money, and still leave you needing more training when you leave.

Good luck whatever.

UKTT Darren

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Subscribed
Reaction score
Good money is earned by having the right connections, other tradesmen to bounce off or contacts that you will build up, any new business takes time to evolve. what you need to do is market yourself well and make the connections, the money is out there, you just have to find a way of getting it, there is no easy way of making money, no one comes knocking on your door offering it. £20 per metre is about the going rate for ceramics. Everyone who has been on my course will tell you that i make a big issue about the business side of the game first, ie, how to market and sell yourself to build up your reputation, thats what you need to concentrate on if you are going to succeed

A

a1tiler

darren, do you think i will learn enough in the five day course to set me on my way, i am keen and my brother is a plasterer and working a lot. maybe he could sort some contacts.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I think you earn alot out of a 5-day course. But you'll always be learning new things. The key is speed and skill so once you've learned the skills from the training centre you're just working on your speed from then-on.

Good luck either way mate.

B

brian c

welcome to the forums mate.i gave up my job which i hated recently and started out on my own doing tiling and wooden floors.Not booked up solid but the phone rings every other day,as Darren says you need to work at it and establish contacts to get the work and once you get the work you MUST do a quality job at realistic prices or you will not be recommended,aLL THE BEST.

C

Cools71

Hey there,

I did the NETT course. Its intensive to say the least. But the info and learning curve is good, in fact excellent. In my opinion you will have to do a bit of practice, especially with one or two of the advanced techniques, it will all be apparent when you attend. A board or a spare wall in a garage should do the trick.

I "graduated" 10 weeks ago, but luckily for me I was not an absolute novice, and I had already done a couple of bathrooms and splashbacks etc.

At the beginning I ummed and erred as to whether I would take it as a career, however in the last two weeks I have managed to get some contract work for a floor, and also a bathroom I start next week, in all honesty all by accident. I have also created an opportunity for a big job that I will be quoting on tomorrow. Things are looking peachy right now, I stand to have earned nearly 6K in 6 weeks if i get this big job. So i do think 30k is attainable in a year. It depends on your marketing startegy. I have the benefit of 12 years in marketing and its a big help. Darren has some excellent suggestions, but there are other routes as well. You reap what you sow.

Be aware you have to work for it though. Its no easy ride, and at times its a bit soul destroying, at first you think you will get the work everytime you quote, it really doesnt work like that. And its definately a people thing. If you get on with your customers, that will get you the job more than your price, IMO anyway.

In short, lol considering I am the king of over verbose posts, pay attention to Darren and make proper notes. And research your area. You may be over saturated in your area and that will reduce the amount of work available. "Setting up" properly as well as "setting out" properly are the most important things IMO.

Cools71

C

CLAYS TILES

darren, do you think i will learn enough in the five day course to set me on my way, i am keen and my brother is a plasterer and working a lot. maybe he could sort some contacts.

i did a 5 day course & it was great fun, your brother is probably your best contact in the tiling business, plasterers get asked to do tiling but dont want the work so my advice is go with ya brother as a partner etc.
good luck pal

G

geordie2013

Hi A1 tiler i as dubious about doing a five day course but went ahead anyway. Had no previous experience. I booked on North East Tile Training and was glad i did as apposed to a 4 week course. Covered everything needed to know and if you get stuck on anything theeres always the forums.

M

myhometiling

Average earnings depends how much effort you put in and what ground work you do
also what contacts you build up.
i have been selfemployed 20years and i believe if u put in 110% you will get the rewards.
regards the 5day course I would go with NETT training, so intenise but better tan any 4 week training course.
:beer_yum:

Reply to Average Earnings & 5 Day Course? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks