Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Dewalt D24000 Half Bullnose Profiling Wheel in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
A customer asked me to lay a run of travertine window sill tiles with a half bullnose to match old 70's ceramic half bullnose tiles on sills elsewhere in the house (the trav was the closest match for pattern and colour).

I had been in the market for one of these for a while now so went ahead and bought one. I had to go for the smaller 5mm half bullnose to match the radius of the tiles in the rest of the property.

I set it up on the Dewalt with ease, but did have to lightly hammer the alloy spacer (provided with it) into the centre of the wheel as it was a tight fit!

When using it I soon found that even with the saw set to its lowest drop height, it still couldn't reach the far side of the tile when the bed was pushed fully in. I ended up making a spacer from an off cut of around 5cm in depth to place on the bed between the tile I was profiling and the flat edge of the bed. This allowed the profiling wheel to make contact with the whole length of the tile.

I ran it wet (no harm and kept diamonds cool) and it worked a treat. I did notice a couple of slightly deeper thin grooves in the profiled face of the tile. On closer inspection of the cutting wheel I noticed 3-4 diamonds standing proud of the smooth radius. A quick tap with a pry bar got rid and it sorted that.

I found the wheel produced very consistent, accurate and quick cuts. I was able to profile 14 tiles & 12 coasters (freebies for the customer!) in well under an hour. It left me with a profile that I have got to do very little extra polishing on, a few tram lines but nothing too drastic that the variable speed Makita won't sort out in half an hour.

All in all I'm well chuffed with it. I have yet to buy a profiling wheel for the grinder, but using it like this in a wet cutter was great!

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

10mm (R10) would have been better IMO as would have produced a more rounded profile, but I will be buying a 10mm soon and the cost of this 5mm one was offset in the price I charged my customer so I can't complain!

AliGage

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I got one of these when I bought my Dewalt. It's a tad aggressive. But does the job.
I experienced the same issue as you Geoff and had to use a spare off cut of Travertine so I could run down the full length.
You still need to smooth off the stone with a bit of wet and dry. But it's a must have wheel in my opinion. Especially if you own the DeWalt. Being able to produce these edges have sold me other many other tilers when it comes to travertine jobs.
Don't own the DeWalt anymore but still use the wheel on my grinder and refine the edge with paper or a pad on the polisher.

FB_IMG_1445539757270.jpg FB_IMG_1445539760917.jpg FB_IMG_1445539331647.jpg FB_IMG_1445539667832.jpg FB_IMG_1445539301256.jpg

Reply to Dewalt D24000 Half Bullnose Profiling Wheel in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock