Discuss Are intensive courses enough? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

T

TV1

I am considering a career change and thought that Tiling may be the way to go! I know that the courses in Edinburgh are good , but what I need to know is will they provide enough training to allow me to start working on tiling jobs immediately?

Cheers in advance!

O

Olz

You will get mixed reactions from members of the forum, mainly because there are so many of us from all different backgrounds, who learnt in defferent ways, there are alot of people myself included, who took this route, I have successfully built up my own business and have lots of happy customers. There are good and bad tilers who have gone down both routes. Bear in mind that it is not as easy as doing the course, sticking an advert up somewhere and watching the money roll it, it will take hard work and dedication to build up a customer base, but if you have the mindset then go for it.

beanz

TF
Reaction score
I've done a course, but getting started in the current climate isn't easy (which is why i'm sitting here at 11:00am). If you are working at the moment, keep hold of your job, and tile part time (evenings n weekends). Do this til you're booked up for a couple of months before jacking your job in, it'll take a while. I was made redundant, so out of options really.... Wouldn't have chosen this route given a choice, and i'm already playing with the idea of taking any ol job, to see me through. :thumbsup:

Also, you don't learn a great deal about prep on the tiling courses, so spend as much time reading on here as you can. This forum is invaluable! ;)

Last edited:
T

TV1

I've done a course, but getting started in the current climate isn't easy (which is why i'm sitting here at 11:00am). If you are working at the moment, keep hold of your job, and tile part time (evenings n weekends). Do this til you're booked up for a couple of months before jacking your job in, it'll take a while. I was made redundant, so out of options really.... Wouldn't have chosen this route given a choice, and i'm already playing with the idea of taking any ol job, to see me through. :thumbsup:

Cheers mate! That kind of confirms one of my concerns, I had intended to do it as a sideline to begin with and then if business would be good enough to provide an income that matches or betters what I'm on at the moment then I'd go full-time!

D

davy_G

A course is enough to get you started but the speed & knowledge only comes with experience. As local pro tilers already have that you will have to quote accordingly and work longer to make money at the start.

B

brian c

you should really read up on your adhesives and substrates to give you a head start.Also you should find out how to prepare walls and floors as this is a vital part of the job.:thumbsup:

T

TV1

you should really read up on your adhesives and substrates to give you a head start.Also you should find out how to prepare walls and floors as this is a vital part of the job.:thumbsup:

Cheers for that mate, does anybody know of any websites that can give info on preparing walls and floors, levelling floors etc?

B

brian c

yes this one:lol: type in what you want in the search button at the top of the page

posted at same time..lol try this.

Last edited by a moderator:
L

Leatherface

Hi
a GOODintensive course will give you sufficient knowledge to be able to start a career in tiling, You will have to understand that you still have lot to learn and will make mistakes. Take it steady, don't run before you can walk, ask advice, learn from your mistakes. Treat each job as if it was at your own home, if you would be willing to pay for it then you are on the right track. Keep trying and try to improve. Remember customer service is as important as the standard of your work.
Good luck

D

Derry

a 1 week course can produce a good or a bad tiler.

a 4 year apprentice can produce a good or a bad tiler.

The point is (as with anything) it depends if you are suited to it, how much you listen, how much you want to learn and then how much effort and work you put into it.

A one week course CAN give you the skills and knowledge but its upto you to apply them.
I did a 2 week course and have also learned loads from these forums but i'm also spending all of my spare time practicing doing jobs and reading several different books and typing up my own notes.

hope that helps :thumbsup:

G

GarethK

Not really an awful lot to add to the above but you may want to consider multi skilling too as the more jobs you can do the better, i.e. plastering and tiling as two skill sets go hand in hand and will maximise your earning potential.

Good Luck!

D

DHTiling

a 1 week course can produce a good or a bad tiler.

a 4 year apprentice can produce a good or a bad tiler.

The point is (as with anything) it depends if you are suited to it, how much you listen, how much you want to learn and then how much effort and work you put into it.

A one week course CAN give you the skills and knowledge but its upto you to apply them.
I did a 2 week course and have also learned loads from these forums but i'm also spending all of my spare time practicing doing jobs and reading several different books and typing up my own notes.

hope that helps :thumbsup:

I agree with that they can both turn out a bad tiler....but 4 yrs will give that bad or good tiler a lot more knowledge than a 1 week course.

1 week or 4 week or what ever short course are good if taught correctly, but they do not teach you to be a tiler, they teach you the background and basics.

Time will teach you to be a tiler and that is where you gain experiance from doing the trade in the real world and not in a simulated enviroment.

I am all for people re-training but please do not pretend to be a qualified tiler after a short course.

You will gain all the necassary info on here to help you along and gain experiance tiling in your customers houses or on-site , which ever you do.

As said by many on here you will learn from your mistakes but you will bounce back and the mistake will make you better..

So good luck in your new trade but no pretending and take your time...

:thumbsup:

D

Daz

I am all for people re-training but please do not pretend to be a qualified tiler after a short course.

How long should one give it until claiming to be qualified Dave?
I did a 4 week course and haven't stopped since so have quite an extensive portfolio, can I claim to be qualified yet?

Reply to Are intensive courses enough? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks