Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Aquadefense over screws in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

M

monkjack

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Silly question perhaps, but when you're applying a liquid membrane (aquadefense in this case), do you just apply it over the screws that were used to fix the boards. Or do you cover the screws in a little tape or something?

Also, when you've finished the tile and grouting, and say you're drilling through the boards to attach the shower head fitting, won't that break the waterproof membrane? Or is it just a case of it's such a tiny hole how much water can get through?

OP
O

One Day

Hi, Aquadefense will normally shrink on drying so it's probably a good idea to put a bit of scrim tape over the screw heads.
As for screwing through, yes it will compromise the waterproofing. To be 100% I will squirt a blob of wedi 610 or kerdi-fix into the hole before inserting the plug. If really stuck I'll admit to using silicone!

OP
M

monkjack

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll order some wedi 610. What do you use to attach the mapei tape by the way, I know it's not self https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/.

OP
O

One Day

The corner tape Mapei supply has mesh edges. Just push it into the corners whilst the aqua defense is still wet and make sure it's well bedded so the mesh gets completely covered. Because it air dries, it needs the mesh to make a bond.
I gently lay it into the corners and then use a 2" wallpaper scraper or a seam roller (NOT sTeam roller!) spread it into position.
If you were to use a waterproof tape like Wedi or kerdi, it would take months to dry out - if ever!

OP
M

monkjack

I guess what I'm asking is, do you just use the aquadefense to adhere the tape in the first place and then second coat - I had originally assumed you put the tape on first using some kind of https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive//whatever and then did two coats of aqua over that.

OP
M

monkjack

I think this mapei video answers my questions.
Not sure what the difference is between aquadefense and mapegum, both by mapei. The spec sheet indicates aqua is a bit more heavy duty.

OP
O

One Day

I rarely use it tbh.
I much prefer Ardex wpc and BAL tank-it (not from Topps though) as they don't rely on air drying.

OP
M

monkjack

I'm in no rush, the bathroom has been a building site for 2 months, I figure I can wait until next weekend for it to dry :)

Reply to Aquadefense over screws in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock