Discuss Anyone seen this happen? glass mosaics losing the backing after tiling in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

R

Rookery

Tile shop said was fine to use palace adhesive, I'll ask him to contact manufacture to see what adhesive they recommend
Presumably because that's what they sell. Personally, I wouldn't use Palace to fix anything to anything else.

D

Dumbo

I have fixed loads with palace even going back to when they used to run houseplan as a separate brand and never had an issue with it ever . Whereas you read loads on here about uneven grout colours with things like Mapei ucp or bal mm

G

GoneGuy

Also I am not saying that palace aren't at fault this time either .
I plan on getting the tile shop to send samples to both palace and mosaic manufacturer, I've got replacement mosaics off manudacturer so I'm going to see if palace will do anything as well

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

some times its as simple as not back skimming this leaves air trapped leading to oxidization between
the/ backing/ adhesive/air trapped/ cement adhesive creates heat as it drys uneven drying will create hot and cold spots on back painted tiles this is what can happen

D

Dumbo

Oh just one more thing about palace , topp fix is made by palace chemicals for Topps tiles and there are loads of traders up and down the country that use this product ( I am not one of them ) and keep going back for more .
Another thing I am not employed or have any affiliation with palace .

O

One Day

I once fixed a 20+sqm travertine floor using Toppfix white rsf (Palace).
It hadn't even begun to set after 24hrs and I had a water-stained floor as a result and an unhappy customer.
Palace were not interested in even talking about it. Thankfully Topps rectified it.
Never used it since around 2008 and won't now.

G

GoneGuy

Just a quick update.
Palace adhesive Rep was in the tile shop and the answer they gave was.
"The white palace adhesive is ok to use on mosaics but they cannot garantee it working as mosaics are made abroad and they do not know what materials are used to bond the back of them, and also it depends what is on the wall aready, we suggest using palace tub adhesive as it has no acid in it that could react with the mosaics".

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Just a quick update.
Palace adhesive Rep was in the tile shop and the answer they gave was.
"The white palace adhesive is ok to use on mosaics but they cannot garantee it working as mosaics are made abroad and they do not know what materials are used to bond the back of them, and also it depends what is on the wall aready, we suggest using palace tub adhesive as it has no acid in it that could react with the mosaics".
Thanks for the update. What's happening to these tiles then now?

G

GoneGuy

Thanks for the update. What's happening to these tiles then now?
I've been given replacement mosaics, palace are not playing ball.
So when I get a chance to take them off and replace I will take a few pictures and post them.
Also I will pick everyone's brains for best adhesive to use to put the new ones back up.

Thanks for all the help guys

Reply to Anyone seen this happen? glass mosaics losing the backing after tiling in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks