Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Anhydrite Screed Tiling in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

J

J-a-m-e-s_7

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi, I have got my kitchen extension floor to tile (6x3m). The floor is anhydrite screed which i had done about 6 weeks ago approx 40mm depth. This will be the first time i will have tiled on a gypsum based screed and after a bit of reading have come across all the possible problems (Mostly down to either bad prep, moisture content or lack of knowledge about the substrate).

I have removed the laitance using an orbital floor sander/prep machine
The tiles i am using are Grespania 600x600 Porcelain Dock

My plan is as follows:
To prime with tilemaster primer either prime+ or grip
Anhyfix to fit ditra
Then use a standard cement based https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ from then on. Either Mapei or Weber most likely

I am wondering if this is the best route or can anyone suggest a better method as to how they would tackle it. I'm not a tiler by trade (Builder/plasterer)

Any advice would be appreciated

OP
J

J-a-m-e-s_7

Thanks Localtiler! Is there any particular hydrometer you would recommend and what reading am i looking for? i have seen varied readings recommended by different manufactures.

My only reason for Ditra was that from what i understand the gypsum based screeds don't do well with moisture and if for example the kitchen were to flood a little then it would help prevent it reaching the screed and potentially causing further problems. If you don't think it is necessary though. I've always been a belt and braces type of guy lol

OP
O

One Day

Skip the priming. There is no need with Anhyfix. Just make sure the floor isn't dusty and use a wet-ish mix.

OP
J

J-a-m-e-s_7

Thanks for the advice. Every days a school day haha. I've been working on a number of jobs recently where gypsum based liquid screeds have been used and not one of the builders knew much if anything about how to prep it or even that is was gypsum not cement based. It is all fairly knew to me too so i thought i'd do a bit of research. At least now i know the basics and have been able to point out the possible problems etc when i came across it. Also, about using gypsum based https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ although it doesn't seem as readily available as the standard stuff.

OP
F

Flintstone

If you want to use ditra as a water proofer you can but you will need to tape all the joints and seal them, it will cost a lot. I think if you get a flood to that extent you'll be claiming off your insurance anyway !

OP
O

One Day

Honest! There's no need with Anhyfix onto Anhydrite.
They state priming is recommended simply because it won't do any harm (and it covers for dust etc, and sells more primer!) but all it does is slow down the water absorbtion from https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ to screed, which with Anhyfix doesn't improve the final bond as it normally does with cement.

As always: if in doubt - prime it out.
All I'm saying is there is no specific need.

Reply to Anhydrite Screed Tiling in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
flooringdemand
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock