Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Anhydrite Screed Question in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Element

TF
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
I have a problem developing with tiles laid over water UFH in anhydrite screed. A few tiles are sounding hollow and are slowly becoming loose. The floor was 'scarified' using an orbital floor machine with a rotating disc with points underneath. The floor was then treated with a primer apparently suitable for anhydrite screeds ( Prime Plus | Flexible Primer & Bonding Agent | Tilemaster Adhesives ) following its precise instructions. The tiles were then laid using a 10mm bed of standard Tilemaster Setaflex.
I have been told that anhydrite screeds should actually be sanded and then primed and I'm now wondering whether the scarfyer process wasn't adequate for the primer to give sufficient bond strength for the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/? It was the first and only occasion I have laid tiles over water UFH. I am returning to the client tomorrow to offer to lift a tile to look at what has happened beneath...

Your opinions would be appreciated!

O

One Day

Setaflex bothers me....
cement onto gypsum bothers me! what was the moisture content, how deep the screed, how long down.... So many checks needed before fixing to anhydrite. And extra checks needed if going cement without an uncoupler.

Reaction score
i dont have an issue with the use of the setaflex, as this WAS the way alot did it before TM came out with Anyfix.

FYI here is the technical data sheet for Anyfix

OP
Element

Element

TF
Reaction score
I had never heard of Anyfix until today.

However the update is the screed was 50mm deep, left to dry six weeks before the screed company scarified the surface (IMO, they did a pretty poor job too) I then applied the primer and tiled on top. No moisture reading was done; I didn't know (then) a reading was necessary, and have never used a moisture meter & nobody mentioned it at the time despite my asking as much info as I could locally with suppliers & builders.

I spoke with TM today and they said that an anhydrite screed should dry for 7-10 days and then be sanded to allow the moisture to escape. The screed company didn’t do this. Then in an ideal world the UFH should be commissioned incrementally to further aid the screed to dry and only when the floor is dry should the priming & tile be done. The plumbers didn’t commission the UFH until 3 weeks after the tile was completed.

Today I lifted one tile and found the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ fully bonded to the tile and the primer; the tile pieces came up with the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ & primer intact as one leaving the anhydrite floor clean beneath. The primer under the tile was damp to the touch. Now I know why; the floor was not adequately dry when the primer went down and further sealed the moisture in. With the UFH on now, the moisture is causing the bond of the primer to the screed to fail and the tiles are loosening up. I suspect the whole lot will need to be removed and the floor fully dried out before another covering goes back down.

It’s been a bad day. :(

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Feel for you!

As more liqud screed us used, your problem is becoming more frequent.
Maybe all tradesmen should reaserch before fitting to any surface and be sure they are using the correct methods.
But as usual.it's normally a case of, until it happens to you.

I think the onus should be down to the screed companies. They should supply a simple data sheet with every pour, to say drying times and ufh comisioning . Then info on processes before and during laying flooring.

B

Bill

Feel for you!

Maybe all tradesmen should reaserch before fitting to any surface and be sure they are using the correct methods.

I think the onus should be down to the screed companies. They should supply a simple data sheet with every pour, to say drying times and ufh comisioning . Then info on processes before and during laying flooring.
I have said this for years - it should be the tile & https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ manufactures priority to make sure everything fits together with new products. How many add ons do we get? a primer for this - a primer for that - c'mon guys, get it together for us poor tilers.

J

J Sid

I have come close to doing one of these floors beginning of last year, 300 m2 with ufh. Customer doing a fast build, did site visit the day before the screed was due to be done because he told me the it was being 'pumping in the liquid' tomorrow. On hearing this I got concerned. Turned out it was to be an anhydride screed, he wasn't told about drying times or procedures for finishing , one area was around the swimming pool which didn't sound right. I told him, he cancelled them and a couple of days later had three gangs of floor screeders with pumps on the job, done in a day. At about 70% of the cost.

O

On one

Feel for you!

I haven't come across an Anhydrite screed yet,but I wholeheartedly agree that customers and tilers need to be better informed by the screed companies.

J

Just Rizzle

expensive lesson on anhydrite screeds you wont be the last . another question why didn't you use a decoupling membrane?

H

hmtiling

The screed company who solely does gypsum screeds on the isle of wight gives terrible advice to all their customers. They say it doesn't need sanding or decoupling even with ufh and stone! This means i always have a nightmare trying to convince the customers otherwise. In fact I'm naming and shaming Mayhew Easyscreed for their p*** poor advice!

Reply to Anhydrite Screed Question in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
flooringdemand
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock