Discuss Am I Being Too Picky? (quality Of Tiling) in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

F

Freda42

We have a bathroom company in at the moment. We have concerns about the tiling.

To me, it looks like a decent DIY finish, but not a professional 'luxury' finish that we were promised. I've attached some photos, but the main problems are:

- mosaic tiles do not end in a straight line at the end of walls.
- the wall behind the sink is just about 68cm wide. The tiles are 33cm wide. They've used two fill tiles to fill this space, which means we have almost a 1cm fill of grout down the side of the door frame.
- They've used 1cm chrome tile trim on a 7mm tile. This means there is an overhang, and where the corners around the windowsill are mitred, there is a very sharp (dangerous!) point. They have filed this down, but its still sharp and sticks out.
- The corners are mitred (they weren't to begin with and I had to get them to do it again) but they aren't very accurate, with the gaps filled with grout.
- some tiles are irregular.

I'd very much appreciate your input. Thank you.
IMG_3116.JPG
IMG_3119.JPG
IMG_3120.JPG IMG_3117.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Freda42

He's also dot and dabbed the adhesive on the wall for the sink. He said this was because the wall wasn't straight, its what you should do. I thought dotting and dabbing was a no no. He put it on normally for the rest of the tiles, as far as I know.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Wow. ...We seem to be getting a lot of this at the moment, like you said, an average diy job....not what you would expect from someone who just dose tiling full time..

F

Freda42

There have been huge delays in getting this bathroom done, and as a result the plasterer was timetabled in to do the job. He's a lovely guy, worked really hard to try and do it as we wanted. But, to be honest, I could have done it just as well. We were paying to have someone do it better than me! They initially provided a professional tiler, but for some reason he walked out and refused to do the job.

Do you think we should insist that they get a pro tiler in to rectify it?

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
There have been huge delays in getting this bathroom done, and as a result the plasterer was timetabled in to do the job. He's a lovely guy, worked really hard to try and do it as we wanted. But, to be honest, I could have done it just as well. We were paying to have someone do it better than me! They initially provided a professional tiler, but for some reason he walked out and refused to do the job.

Do you think we should insist that they get a pro tiler in to rectify it?
At the end of the day your the paying customer and imo you have every right to ask for the job to be done to a high standered. ..
And this is not a high standered !!!
So to clarify it was done by the plasterer not a tiler?

F

Freda42

Yes, he plastered the walls (very well) and we were told he could tile as well, he was just slow.

F

Freda42

He only plastered he top half of the walls, Wrighty, as the tiles are half height around the room. He said it wasn't necesary to plaster where the tiles were going?

The top picture is a bit out of focus, sorry! The tiles aren't cut to the same size, so they don't line up. This is right above the cistern cover.

Demi34, that is an option. But due to project over run (over 5 weeks so far for a small bathroom we were told would take 2 weeks) he is on a deadline of getting it done by Wed or we don't pay the final installment. We're trying to give him as much opportunity to achieve this as possible, but need a bathroom we're happy with!

Last edited by a moderator:
B

billthetiler

If my apprentice did a job as poor as that he'd be working for free to correct it! Get the plasterer to pay a professional to re-do it.

H

hmtiling

If that was done for free you shouldn't be happy. He definitely shouldn't be doing paid work as a 'tiler'

Reply to Am I Being Too Picky? (quality Of Tiling) in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks