Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Advice required for bathroom refit in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

S

Sam P

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi all keen DIY'er here willing to do all of the required research in order to do a good job. Not worried about the time it takes, just that the end result is presentable.

Currently beginning a bathroom refit and reconfiguration, a standalone shower is being added and the previous shower over bath replaced with a bath only. The toilet has been shifted in order to fit in a 1200x800 offset quadrant shower enclosure in the corner of the room. The walls will be tiled floor to ceiling in the shower area and partially around the bath. I have a stone resin low profile shower tray on order which I will be raising on a 18mm ply plinth and bedding in on sand and cement.

I'd like some advice on tile substrates. I am working with a painted plastered external wall and painted skimmed plasterboard in the corner of the shower enclosure. I have read a lot about different substrates and see the options as Wediboard/KerdiBoard or tanked cement board such as Hardiebacker. It is likely that the existing plasterboard walls will be damaged when removing the tiles so I am expecting to reboard these areas with standard plasterboard in the higher areas around the bath.

Please could you advise on the best way of preparing the walls adjacent to the shower?

OP
T

Time's Ran Out

Take off all the plasterboard where you are going to tile and replace with a waterproof tile backer board. Skim all the rest to decorate.
Why a low profile tray then build up on 18mm plywood?

OP
S

Sam P

Take off all the plasterboard where you are going to tile and replace with a waterproof tile backer board. Skim all the rest to decorate.
Why a low profile tray then build up on 18mm plywood?

Thanks John, which waterproof tile backer board would you recommend that is low-cost an easily purchasable in the UK?

The shower tray needs to be raised in order to allow sufficient clearance for the shower waste to exit. Not ideal but unfortunately what needs to be done in this scenario. The low profile tray was chosen to minimise the step up.

OP
T

Time's Ran Out

Wedi or Jakoboard from CTD would be my choice.
There's a branch in Bristol.

Reply to Advice required for bathroom refit in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
BIG_AL
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock