Discuss Advice Requested on tiling a wet room/bathroom in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

O

One Day

And this gentlemen is exactly why we need regulation on wet area preparation. All that hardibacker is totally and utterly pointless and all the effort that's gone in so far is pretty much wasted. I could cry...

F

Flintstone

As above and I have also spotted that the tray appears to be much lower than the rest of the floor area which is a big problem

O

One Day

Steve, if you really are going to press on with this, I would do the following:
Sand down the fibreglass well with a rough paper, to aid keying.
Get 2x Ardex WPC kits and tank out the wet area. Scrim tape the corners and board joints and go over again with Ardex WPC.
Drill some weep holes into the little plastic upstand around that marmox tray, and don't use less than 50mm mosaics on it.
Good idea too to use an epoxy grout on the tray.

AAAARGH!!! Just makes me so mad to see HB on the walls!

S

Steve H

Thanks all for your advice. It has frightened me off, mainly cos I'm sodding off to the Algarve in the camper van in a couple of weeks and I wouldn't want to leave a mess or a half finished job. I know a very capable and experienced tiler, who will know exactly how to finish this job and at the end of the day the neighbour will be happy, which is the aim after all.
All the head scratching and banter on this forum has whetted my appetite and I will be getting my trowels dirty when I return. Thanks once again for sharing your knowledge.

average

TF
Reaction score
Fill the walls out with tiling addy and as for the 3mm rise between floor and tray, youll take that out with tiling addy aswell

O

Old Mod

Fill the walls out with tiling addy and as for the 3mm rise between floor and tray, youll take that out with tiling addy aswell
Why would the op do that? It's all brand new studwork and boarding.
There's no excuse for it to be like that at all!
Should be made to start again. And do it correctly.
And parts would fall beyond sensible capabilities of adhesive, and it's not good practise anyway.
Whether or not it actually works, it'd also void any guarantee from adhesive manufacturers.
And there is the little matter of it being a wetroom, not 3 high around a bath.

average

TF
Reaction score
Why would the op do that? It's all brand new studwork and boarding.
There's no excuse for it to be like that at all!
Should be made to start again. And do it correctly.
And parts would fall beyond sensible capabilities of adhesive, and it's not good practise anyway.
Whether or not it actually works, it'd also void any guarantee from adhesive manufacturers.
And there is the little matter of it being a wetroom, not 3 high around a bath.

No i understand. Probably cheaper to board it again correctly.

Reply to Advice Requested on tiling a wet room/bathroom in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks