Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Advice please - natural sandstone - indoors on anhydrite screed in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hello,
I am pretty new to this forum and would like some help please on laying sandstone indoors. I’ve read up everything I can find that looks relevant first so as not to waste your time :smilewinkgrin:

I have a 3.2m diameter circular floor area with anhydrite screed finish and am a laying Bradstone natural sandstone (pre-cut) circle kit (approx. 20mm thick).
The screed has been sanded to remove laitance and is flat. There is very LOW temperature (approx. 35 deg C) warm water underfloor heating laid below the screed.

Do I need to lay a decoupling mat?

What https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ would you recommend? I do not need to make up any height.

I plan to seal the stones before laying with Lithofin Stain Stop until the stones are saturated. Does anyone have alternative recommendations?

What grout works well with sandstone? The joint width is 10-15mm on these kits as they are really for outdoors. This seems very wide to me.

Are there any other pitfalls I should be aware of please?

Thank you in advance.

Frances

J

jonnyc

frances ,
i am frustrated that i spent along time yesterday explaining about how to reduce the joint widths of your stone but i got timed out.
i know what you want to do and you can get close to what you want but it will involve a bit of extra cutting and setting out which you have to do anyway.
you can achieve this but you will need a reasonable angle grinder and blade tomsuite.
tbh it will be much quicker if you call me and i explain .
its all about maths really/ drawing circles and adjusting .
i am not a qualified tiler but i have done a few features and happy to share how i got to result i did

OP
F
Reaction score
jonnyc,

I'm sorry that you lost your the written explanation; it would have helped others reading the thread as well as me. Thank you for offering to talk through the setting out to reduce joint widths. At present I am getting quotes for all the materials. Once I have the sandstone on site and laid out, I will take you up on your offer if I can't work it out. The angle grinder is not a problem.

Thanks again,
Frances

J

jonnyc

frances .
phone me tomorrow as i am in office for first time long time and i will tell you how to do this job.
you can do this all by yourself if you are so inclined and post your pics on this website and show us how you got on
you will really enjoy it.

M

Mark S

from a screed manufacturers point of view we would recommend using a de-coupling mat with natural stone, porcelain and travertine, this is due to different thermal properties.
there are obviously a number of different manufacturers of mat out there, but we should brfore long have our own approved mat to go with our Tekcem Gyp Tek https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/.

T

Time's Ran Out

But what is a qualified tiler - Nvq , City and Guilds, or years of experience!
All that counts is its done right, using the best materials possible, and everyone is happy with the outcome.
Its not one off work it's ongoing work and the longevity of a tradesman is a good indicator. Not this 'I've always done it this way' type but the ones who embrace new technology and want to keep learning - even I occasionally listen!
I think Mr C like the unqualified role in our trade, but unfortunately the quality of his work shows how experience (however gained) has set him apart from others and justifiably deserves full praise for his portfolio.

OP
F
Reaction score
frances .
phone me tomorrow as i am in office for first time long time and i will tell you how to do this job.
you can do this all by yourself if you are so inclined and post your pics on this website and show us how you got on
you will really enjoy it.

I just wanted to thank everyone on this forum for their helpful advice last autumn.
The circular stairwell has now been tiled.
The decision was for porcelain tiles and a new cutting machine and a design with facets not curves.
20150220_161820 stairwell.jpg

Reply to Advice please - natural sandstone - indoors on anhydrite screed in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock