Discuss Advice On The Finer Detail Please in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

ANDY F

TF
Reaction score
Hello oh knowledgeable ones. A couple of questions.

Firstly, at the junction where the tiled floor meets the tiled wall, what is tiled first? Wall before floor or vice versa? Does it matter? Sealing the junction with grout or silicone?

Secondly, roughly how long does it take the tanking system to go off? Not decided which brand we're using yet but some require two coats. Roughly how long will an average system take to dry before the second coat can go on?

I thank you in advance :)

P

p4ulo

I always like to tile the floor first then tile down onto it, leaving a few mm between which you then sealant.
However, a job I'm doing "slow-time" at the moment for a mate is walls first cos the floor ain't fitted properly yet....I'm my mind it's harder this way around cos you can "hide" the floor tile cuts with the wall tiles if you need to!?
Tanking systems, should be all done and dusted within an afternoon / morning.
They are usually re-coatable after a few hours, some go off much quicker.

O

Old Mod

Ardex WPC is very easy and quick to do.
It's a popular choice with guys on here.
Walls tiles down on to floor where possible.
If u leave your bottom cut out till floor is tiled then u can still tile walls first.
But it's not always possible to do.
But if you're bonding all wall joints with floor joints right through and back up otherside, just be aware of your joint line.

ANDY F

TF
Reaction score
I also note that tiles need to be cut diagonally to follow the fall of the pre-formed shower tray. Is it as simple as cutting the tile and then skimming off the end what is required to form a grout joint? If you wanted a 3mm joint, take 1.5mm of both sections of the tile?

Wet-Room-Sloped-Floor[1].jpg

O

Old Mod

I also note that tiles need to be cut diagonally to follow the fall of the pre-formed shower tray. Is it as simple as cutting the tile and then skimming off the end what is required to form a grout joint? If you wanted a 3mm joint, take 1.5mm of both sections of the tile?

View attachment 78304
If u use a wet saw for your cuts, this will form your grout joint.

Reply to Advice On The Finer Detail Please in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks