Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

1. laugh TilersForums.co.uk Tiling Job Of The Month Competition! laugh

Vote on July competition by clicking HERE (click the thumbs up on the job you want to win!

Enter in August competition by clicking HERE (click 'add your JOTM entry' and then 'add media')

Discuss Advice on regrouting/sealing in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.co.uk.

Tags:
  1. AlexSW

AlexSW Member of Tilers Forums

Hello,

I'm a novice to tiling and I'm looking for some advice on a problem I'm having.

I'm trying to tackle some old grouting and sealant in my bathroom that has gone mouldy. Tried covering it up with some grout and silicon replenisher type product from Unibond, which has worked in parts but not everywhere.

Decided the worst bits I would regrout and reseal.

Between two of the tiles there is sealant rather than grout, which I've removed, and I am now left with a gap around 1cm in width and around 1.5cm deep and it covers 3 tiles, around 40cm long. I'm wondering what the best thing to do in this situation? Could I grout it or should I use silicone sealant, similar to how it was done previously, or is there any other options I haven't considered?

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks
    Alex

2. Bond

Bond Top Contributor

That's quite a large gap to fill. Some grouts are usable up to15mm. Would probably go with a silicone sealant being more flexible, with that sort of gap. ( if in a place, not to visually intrusive). If you can post a photo, it would help, in obtaining a more considered response, to the specific situation. Cheers the noo.