Discuss advice on going self employed in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi I am thinking of starting up my own tiling business, after many years of working as a fully qualified tiler, tiling and fitting bathrooms I want to branch out therefore I wanted to ask for any advice that other self employed tilers may have.

My main concerns are..
Check a trade is it worth it?..How much to charge. Best way to drum up business. How much realistically I could earn per week. What sort of running costs should I expect.

Finally I really appreciate any advice that's out there, whether it's positive or negative in nature..

F

Flintstone

Hello, I don't think your going go get those sort of money related answers on here as it's not discussed.
I think check a trade has mixed reviews, personally I don't use anything like that. They charge you a lot I think, which I disagree with

D

Dumbo

Checkatrade can help starting out . Charging very much depends where you work and how you come across . If you are knuckle dragger don't expect much if you can charm the birds from the trees you can do better .

D

Dumbo

Running costs tend to be fuel ,Van WearAnd tear and tools. Also make sure you have a good handle on material costs and how much you need as you don't want to be subsidising your customers work .

T

Time's Ran Out

Invest in property and take out a pension.
Then when you get to my age you can choose your work.
That's what my Dad said - wish I'd have listened.
As for you - if you have to ask how to find work your going to struggle. You only go self employed when it's more fruitful than working for someone else.
You should wait till you have enough orders to make that change.
Use the search buttton to link other history replies .

Kyle Knowles

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
When I started I just took pictures of my jobs and once I had a little portfolio I went and introduce my self to the local kitchen and bathroom shops even sent some emails to local builders and plumbers and built-up from there be reliable,polite clean and tidy and my favourite be prepared to work 12 or 14 hour days if u have to to get the job done I've just got in know from being out the house at 5:45 this morning that's nearly 15 hours and I love it haha

J

Just Rizzle

every time you look at a job your effective going for a job interview. at the moment all you have to do is turn up and do the job. your effectively when, going self employed, is do all the jobs your bosses do as well as do the tiling

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd avoid all the rate a trader type websites they don't give you any credit. Setup your own website and rank above them in search engines. It's cheaper and you'd get all the calls then not just a percentage.

Reply to advice on going self employed in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks