Discuss Advice On Getting Qualified Please in the Tiling Courses - Tile Workshops area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Good evening to all.

I've been working with a tiler,full time for just over 3 years now. Love my job and we are very busy with a variety of jobs from Kia show rooms to Victorian hall ways etc
The chap I work with doesn't have any qualifications as such (eg nvq2/3 or city &guilds) but does have 17 years experience.
He says I don't need nvq's etc but I would just like to get a few other opinions really.
Id like to learn as much as I can and want to be taught right. I want to do things properly so I can legitimately call myself a professional tiler at some point.

Any feed back would be great

Thanks Danny

W

White Room

If you wanted to go on site as a skilled worker you would need an nvq to get the blue card plus a cscs for H&S which is required on all sites.

Do you have a cscs card working for the guy your with now ?

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply
No I don't have a cscs card as we never do site work with the exception of the Kia garage. We just work for small builders really who do a few houses at a time and big extensions. With a few domestics thrown in for good measure.

W

White Room

Thanks for the reply
No I don't have a cscs card as we never do site work with the exception of the Kia garage. We just work for small builders really who do a few houses at a time and big extensions. With a few domestics thrown in for good measure.
One day you may want to do bigger site works rather than just builders then an nvq would be required.

T

The D

An NVQ is not something that is going to teach you anything that is the tilers job the NVQ is a record of your capability. when you sign up for your NVQ you will start to build a portfolio of your work for the assessor. The tiler you work with can be your verifier and you can just work through the NVQ criteria ticking of each unit as you go. If there is a paticuler unit or task you don't do much of then you can attend college to get the relevent training but you must then put it into practis in a live situation as simulated evidence is not permitted on the NVQ. All you are doing on an NVQ is gathering evidence that tiling is what you do.

Reply to Advice On Getting Qualified Please in the Tiling Courses - Tile Workshops area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks