Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Advice needed - poor workmanship? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

K

Karen79

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hello, I am new to this site and seeking some advice on the tile in our new bathroom.

We are really unhappy with the quality of the tile and have voiced our concerns to the plumber (he also did the tile). He says he did the best job he could and blamed wonky walls and a difference between the thickness of the wall tile and mosaic border for the defects (the walls were re-plastered prior to him tile by a plasterer he chose, he sub-contracted the work out).

He believes he has done a good job and cannot understand why we are not satisfied. Surprisingly he said he would be willing for us to deduct the cost of having the issues rectified by a tiler of our choice and he will also agree to us deducting the cost of replacing tiles from his invoice. It was agreed that we would pay on completion so we haven't paid anything yet as the job isn't finished.

We have since had 2 different tilers come and take a look and both have suggested that all the tile needs to come off and the bathroom suite will need to come out beforehand to prevent damage. Depending on the condition of the walls underneath the walls may need plastering again and then the bathroom suite would need reinstalling. So basically it would be like starting over again.

I have told the original plumber what the 2 tilers have said and he says that they are probably just saying that to get extra work. He is now asking for part payment to cover the cost of materials and the labour for the work he sub-contracted out and we don't know what to do as the quotes we've had to rectify everything are around the same as the total amount he is requesting!

I have tried to attach some photos of some of the issues (there are so many!) but I can't figure out how to do it! I've added 2 pics under Poor workmanship? I don't know whether you will be able to see them? I would be so grateful for any advice you can offer me. Believe me, I don't like complaining and I am truly devastated it has come to this but I stand to lose a lot of money if I pay him and do require the whole lot doing again. He is not willing to put right his own defects either so we're stuck!

IMG_1458.JPG IMG_1459.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
K

Karen79

Apologies, I don't know how to attach pics to my original post, I have so many pictures of defects on my phone and was hoping to attach several on one post but can't work out how to do it? If anyone can advise me how to do it I'd also be very grateful!

OP
O

Old Mod

Apologies, I don't know how to attach pics to my original post,

Hi Karen,
welcome to the forum, shame it's not under better circumstances.

Beneath the reply box you will see 'upload file'
Depending on your phone, selecting this icon will bring up different pop ups.
This is mine.
IMG_1460.jpg

Select which source to select your images from.
I believe in some phones it says 'files' or similar.
Once in your photo album, select your required images, all at once, in the same way you would with FB, if you use it. :)
Once selected, click done.
The images will then load beneath the reply box like so.

IMG_1461.jpg

Once they have all uploaded, at the top of the list you will see an icon that says
'Upload every image as'
Select 'thumbnail'
They will then all upload in to your reply box.

IMG_1463.PNG

Then just select 'post reply'
They should then all be contained within your post.
Any problems tag me with an @3_fall using the @ sign, prefixed to my username.
Or select 'contact' below my avatar and it will generate a 'private message' and we'll see what we can do to help.
Good luck. :)

OP
M

Matt Bott

I think I would prefer to start again as the joints don't seem to line up and the tiny slithers are not great I think it would be more work to try and make it look good did you see what https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ your plumber used ?

OP
K

Karen79

Hi Karen,
welcome to the forum, shame it's not under better circumstances.

Beneath the reply box you will see 'upload file'
Depending on your phone, selecting this icon will bring up different pop ups.
This is mine.
View attachment 92660

Select which source to select your images from.
I believe in some phones it says 'files' or similar.
Once in your photo album, select your required images, all at once, in the same way you would with FB, if you use it. :)
Once selected, click done.
The images will then load beneath the reply box like so.

View attachment 92662

Once they have all uploaded, at the top of the list you will see an icon that says
'Upload every image as'
Select 'thumbnail'
They will then all upload in to your reply box.

View attachment 92663

Then just select 'post reply'
They should then all be contained within your post.
Any problems tag me with an @3_fall using the @ sign, prefixed to my username.
Or select 'contact' below my avatar and it will generate a 'private message' and we'll see what we can do to help.
Good luck. :)

Thank you! I have used my chromebook to load them all up as was having issues doing it through my phone, I've put the pics on now. Many thanks

OP
K

Karen79

The sneak preview doesn't bode well...

I have managed to upload more pics now which will give you a better idea. The pics show defects spanning all 3 walls that were tiled. Please can you let me know what you think? I just don't understand how he can think the work is good quality?

OP
K

Karen79

I think I would prefer to start again as the joints don't seem to line up and the tiny slithers are not great I think it would be more work to try and make it look good did you see what https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ your plumber used ?
Unfortunately not I didn't. Both the other tilers who came to look said there is no way they'd be willing to patch it up and they believe I will struggle to find anyone who will. The original plumber is not willing to come back and re-do it (probably a good thing).

He said that he did the tile to the best of his ability and blamed the walls (said they were wonky) and the fact the mosaic tiles were a different thickness to the tiles for the finish. The mosaic border is a fair bit thinner than the tile but surely this is common? We spent a lot of time looking at borders and tiles and the mosaic borders were always thinner.

Thing is as well, he sub-contracted for a plasterer to come out and plaster the entire room so if that's the case why weren't the walls straightened? Surely the plasterer would have picked up on that as he knew they were going to be tiled? Our contract is solely with the plumber, he sub-contracted work out to a joiner, plasterer and electrician. I can't fault the electric work although we have received nothing to say the work has been signed off.

The plumber is asking for part payment to pay the sub-contracters. However, if it all needs ripping out the plastering may need to be re-done so why should I pay twice? Also, on one of the pics it shows how the tile is flush with the architrave then further down the tiles protrude out past it so the architrave will need to come off as well. Also, the skirting the joiner did is not even attached to the wall yet so the work is unfinished. Yet the plumber is refusing to come back!

OP
K

Karen79

One other thing I haven't mentioned is that on 2 walls and then at the bottom of the third wall he has used a brick effect pattern as we requested. However on the wall around the window he has just stacked them one on top of the other so he's used a different tile pattern for that area! He hasn't even finished tile into the window alcove either, that is still bare plaster.

Now that I have posted more pics, I would be really grateful for people's opinion on whether this is satisfactory and whether the problems could potentially be rectified without ripping it all out? The plumber has said anyone we get out to look will say it needs ripping out because it's more work and money for them, in other words he is suggesting they won't be honest. But as he is unwilling to rectify the issues himself I don't see what choice we have?

Reaction score
Don't pay anything out until you know how much the rectification is going to cost,
or you will end up paying twice.The cleanliness of the "finished job" is an indication of
the quality of work unfortunately, good luck.

OP
K

Karen79

Don't pay anything out until you know how much the rectification is going to cost,
or you will end up paying twice.The cleanliness of the "finished job" is an indication of
The issue I have is no tiler is willing to rectify it by putting right the defects, all so far have said it needs to come off altogether and start again. I've had another come this morning and say the same thing so 3 different tilers now. The plumber argues they're just saying that to get more work and money but I genuinely don't think they are. All 3 are inundated with work, the earliest any of them could do the work is in 5 weeks time, one said it would be November!

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to this site and seeking some advice on the tile in our new bathroom.

We are really unhappy with the quality of the tile and have voiced our concerns to the plumber (he also did the tile). He says he did the best job he could and blamed wonky walls and a difference between the thickness of the wall tile and mosaic border for the defects (the walls were re-plastered prior to him tile by a plasterer he chose, he sub-contracted the work out).

He believes he has done a good job and cannot understand why we are not satisfied. Surprisingly he said he would be willing for us to deduct the cost of having the issues rectified by a tiler of our choice and he will also agree to us deducting the cost of replacing tiles from his invoice. It was agreed that we would pay on completion so we haven't paid anything yet as the job isn't finished.

We have since had 2 different tilers come and take a look and both have suggested that all the tile needs to come off and the bathroom suite will need to come out beforehand to prevent damage. Depending on the condition of the walls underneath the walls may need plastering again and then the bathroom suite would need reinstalling. So basically it would be like starting over again.

I have told the original plumber what the 2 tilers have said and he says that they are probably just saying that to get extra work. He is now asking for part payment to cover the cost of materials and the labour for the work he sub-contracted out and we don't know what to do as the quotes we've had to rectify everything are around the same as the total amount he is requesting!

I have tried to attach some photos of some of the issues (there are so many!) but I can't figure out how to do it! I've added 2 pics under Poor workmanship? I don't know whether you will be able to see them? I would be so grateful for any advice you can offer me. Believe me, I don't like complaining and I am truly devastated it has come to this but I stand to lose a lot of money if I pay him and do require the whole lot doing again. He is not willing to put right his own defects either so we're stuck!

View attachment 92658 View attachment 92659
As you havent paid yet you have the upper hand. He wont come back and if he did would you really want him there? He's blaming the walls but they were plastered on his recommendation. Get one of the other tilers in (probably qualified) and get them to do a total refit as the recommend,they sound like they know what they're doing. Hopefully you get the job done at no extra cost to yourself.

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score

As above. Finishing and remedial works are required, whether a total rip out is necessary - additional photos may be usefull (showing whole walls etc,) to get a overall picture, the attached pics definitely shows the devils in the detail). As your plumber had carried out the tile works, what expectation/standard of workmanship can you reasonable expect, that of the average plumber doing tile work?.

Reaction score
As you havent paid yet you have the upper hand. He wont come back and if he did would you really want him there? He's blaming the walls but they were plastered on his recommendation. Get one of the other tilers in (probably qualified) and get them to do a total refit as the recommend,they sound like they know what they're doing. Hopefully you get the job done at no extra cost to yourself.
Ps.. if he's a plumber he's not a good one,that flexi-hose seems to have a too tight "kink" in it,this could affect your water supply to the tap,get someone to look at it,hope you get everything sorted.

Reply to Advice needed - poor workmanship? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
BIG_AL
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock