Discuss Advice Needed Please! Fila Colour Intensifier On Newly Laid Sandstone in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

K

katiede

Please help - I know nothing about paving/tiling....!!

We have just had some sandstone paving laid in our garden. Following advice, we washed and cleaned off the chalky residue, waited a few days for the sandstone to dry, and then applied 2 coats of Fila colour intensifer (I wanted to stone to look darker).

Across 20sqm, I have just 3 slabs in the middle that have dried with a white mottled effect. We are not happy with this.

I have had advice from the paving supplier - they are suggesting that Fila might not be the right product for this slab and that only "lithofin" allows you to apply intensifier straight after laying tiles..... they say:-
"With regards to the mottling/ white effect, this usually happens if the paving is still damp when sealed as the moisture reacts with the sealant. There are only a handful of products that may be used straight after laying the paving, so I’m not sure if the one you have used will have been suitable. Nearly all paving draws through salts from the mortar which appears as a white film across the surface of the stone. This is a temporary phenomenon known as efflorescence and will gradually weather away. My concern would be if you have used a sealant that is not suitable for using straight after laying the paving, then this would have locked in the efflorescence.
"Most products require the efflorescence to have cleared through first. It could either be that these three slabs contained moisture or it may be that these are the first ones exhibiting signs of efflorescence."
.....which makes me think I've got worst to come...?

Topps Tiles advice was that the tiles were possibly not fully dry, too much sealer was applied, or that the chalky residue was not cleaned off well enough.

To rectify, toppstiles have advised to use Fila no paint star to remove the intensifier, and then I can start again.

Ideas or help needed please!!!?

Do you think I have used the wrong intensifer? Is this white mottling going to happen everywhere eventually? Should I use this Fila no paint star product?

MUCH APPRECIATED IN ADVANCE!!!!!

Attachments

• paving3.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 19
  • paving2.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 23
  • paving1.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 18

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
If it's efflorescence you will need to strip the sealer and then allow it to dry properly and then reseal I believe. I've never dealt with it personally. So it does sound like Topps are on the right track there.

Speak to www.LTP-Online.co.uk they have a good range of gear.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll link you to a couple of good threads on the issues.

http://www.tilersforums.com/threads/removing-efflorescence.10279/
slate bathroom floor - help!
Efflorescence or Sealant problem on Indian Sandstone
http://www.tilersforums.com/threads/understanding-efflorescence-and-polymer-latex-leaching.34567/

http://www.tilersforums.com/threads/victorian-mosaic-flooring-queries.33964/ - note the last post in this one.

The above might be for different tile types and in different situations etc so perhaps best to go with what the suppliers have recommended.

J

Just Rizzle

It's bloomed , due to moisture in the bedding and stone.

Also was excess sealer removed before it dried .
your not kidding dave its blooming horrendous.
ive only used fila once not a fan. lithothin for me but you need to strip dry and reapply if the rest of the floor is ok

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
As above, if a whitening to an excess impregnator ( dead seal) strip the effected tiles let fully dry , ( days not hours) and then re apply, ensure you remove all excess when re applying ( no wet look finish and let dry in, buff the tiles back dry after saturation.

If the stripping agents don't work ,you will be then dealing with a salt trace and will require a different cleaning product. Once stripped

Just to comment, on top statement, we do not recommend to seal straight after tiles are Laid, as with any impregnator the stone will need to be fully dry and released of all moisture. the fila product is a good product ( oh that's hurts me) it depends on how it's applied and when it's applied to it working as it should.

Reply to Advice Needed Please! Fila Colour Intensifier On Newly Laid Sandstone in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks