Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Advice for fixing wall that is out of plumb in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

A

AndyB

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi,

I am redoing our bathroom and am tile all the walls including around the shower. Where the shower will go I have taken down the old plasterboard and replaced with Hardiebacker board and have already taped the joins. However, before starting the tile I have realised the wall is out of plumb - its ok at the bottom for first 300mm but then it bends outwards so the top is out of plumb by about 15mm.

So, question is do I take the backer board off the wall and refit it packing out the studwork so its vertical? If so, how would you do this (what do you use to pack out the studs?)

Or would it be better to somehow skim the wall on top of the backer board with cement or tile https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ to get it level?

OP
Q

Qwerty

I personally would remove and build wall out level using frame packers or re-stud off of the existing framework. Ensure there are plenty of them so there is no flex in the boards.

Here is part of a room I had to stud out on the existing woodwork to make it all level....

Image_22.04.2016_13.52.28_6783.jpeg
2016-04-22 135237-912334.JPG

OP
A

AndyB

Thanks for the advice. This is a great help! I couldn't picture how to do it but this makes sense now.

Reply to Advice for fixing wall that is out of plumb in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock