Discuss Adhesive up to tile corners in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

Drifterjoe

Hi guys.

Working on a floor today with another bloke.
Compared to him I'm a bit slower because I spend much longar setting each tile and ensuring there is full contact of the adhesive right upto the edge and corners of each tile.

Basically I spend ages cleaning joints because i leave too much addy upto the tile edge. Sometimes I get it just right but more often I get some adhesive squeezing up through the joint and have to wipe it out with a sponge.

I'm just paranoid about corners having no support and then snapping at a later date.

Am I being too thorough worring about this? My mate says the grout pushed into the joint will squeeze under a 10mm void and give support.

Cheers Joe.

O

Old Mod

Do what makes you feel comfortable, don't be drawn into the same bad fitting habits as others, just to keep up.
You won't go wrong fully bedding tiles, however, it will catch up with him.
Try and find a more efficient way of cleaning the joints.
I'll use a spacer in the first instance, then just wipe over top with a damp sponge.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Was just about to say the same. Can't do it so easy with huge tiles but i suppose you don't have as many joints.

You shouldnt be plastering the wall with adhesive either. A nice thin spread if the wall / floor allows it.

D

Drifterjoe

Thanks for the feedback guys. I normally try to run the trowel edge along the previous tile then slide away when setting. Think I need to remove slightly more to get it just right. But I'd rather have the peace of mind that I've got full contact and it take a few moments longer

Reply to Adhesive up to tile corners in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks