Discuss Adhesive advice - tiles fallen from walls in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

K

Katie30

IMG_5968.JPG
Hi all,

I am looking for some advice regarding a recent tiling job I've had done.

I arrived home from work with some tiles having falling off of the wall and into the bath! The adhesive seems very thick and in blobs. Is this normal? See picture of the wall.

The tiler is coming to refit the tiles but I am concerned that it could happen again. It was a reputable company and not cheap! Any advice welcome!

Many thanks

O

One Day

A Classic case of beauty being far more than skin deep! No doubt you were pleased enough with the finished job, but it's what's underneath which matters equally.
That is a monstrous job. No way should tiles ever be spot fixed. Those blobs are way too thick, the cracks in the adhesive illustrate that. It is downright dangerous and you have a definite legal case for insisting that it is all done again, safely.
Imagine being hit by a falling tile?

B

Bill

Ok...before the blobby police get here... let me start by stating that although blobbing adhesive rather than full bed 'combed' adhesive is not the best way to tile, it will not always be the case for failure.

It could be that the adhesive wasn't the correct type, it wasn't the correct mix or that it was allowed to skin over, therefore not having the correct bond to the tile.

In the last few years, adhesive and tile manufacturers have been working better together to understand the problems that tilers and customers have.

Blobbing won't necessarily mean failure although it is not regarded as best practice.

The other guys and gals here will tell you exactly what your tiler should do on his revisit.

B

Bill

one other point, not that I am defending the tiler, but it appears that for this tile to fall off it would have had to get past a shower screen and a shower rail. Is that correct?

K

Katie30

Hi, thank you for your quick replies!

Tom, in answer to your questions, there was an issue with the old shower screen not hanging correctly so I was already awaiting for the tiler to fit a new one. The showe attachment is only partly fitted, again, something I was already waiting for the tiler to complete.

I hope that makes sense!

D

Dumbo

Very very poor fixing method - dangerous. They have built up the adhesive a lot too, does it feel soft or is it rock hard the adhesive
I think I know where you are going with this . I have just expanded the picture and I reckon it is ready mix

F

Flintstone

If it is ready mixed it won't set at that thickness and you will be able to pull it off the wall with your hands most likely, if it is the right adhesive it will Be hard as a rock

K

Katie30

Did it damage the bath ?
Imagine if it someone on the head.
Dangerous beyond belief.....i would even use that room till it's sorted..
Hi, thanks for your reply. Yes it damaged the bath, which they have offered to re-enamel but I feel it will need replacing.

K

Katie30

If it is ready mixed it won't set at that thickness and you will be able to pull it off the wall with your hands most likely, if it is the right adhesive it will Be hard as a rock
May be the company was reputable but not necessarily that tiler. You should maybe ask for the owner to come and see the problem first .
Hi, JCRTiling, thanks for your input! I have asked the owner but he has fobbed me off somewhat, blaming the tiles I bought. He is sending round the tiler who initially did the job this morning. I will show him the damage but there won't be time for him to try and replace today.

Would you advise having ALL tiles in the bathroom removed? (even those on other walls, not around the bath, and floor??)

Reply to Adhesive advice - tiles fallen from walls in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks