Discuss A Little Help For Complete Downstairs in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

A

Aruffell

Hi all,

New member here but am getting a new house soon (persimmon new build) and from the get go decided that underfloor heating was the way to go and have been quoted for the lot including a clip rail system, screening and insulation.

Obviously the house builder will put in their own concrete slab which I'm sure will have insulation within it to meet building regs but would we need further insulation above the concrete slab but below the pipes?

This is currently a price difference of around £1200.

Also we are going for carpet in some rooms but mainly tiles for the bulk of it. Are we restricted with ceramic or would porcelain work?

Lastly, would we need a decoupling membrane on top of the screed that is above the pipes but below the tiles?

Thanks in advance,

Andy

Reaction score
If it's just concrete then yes. Basically, you need to insulate below the pipes to get the heat going the right way.

Porcelain would be best but floor grade ceramic would also do.
An uncoupling matt would be safest if you can stretch to it.

B

Bill

Best piece of advice - do not cut corners on UFH prep - it defeats the object of having UFH.

Use a decoupler, use thermal boards and make sure it is ready to tile - moisture levels are paramount with new screeds for this type of work. Check and treble check.

A

Aruffell

Best piece of advice - do not cut corners on UFH prep - it defeats the object of having UFH.

Use a decoupler, use thermal boards and make sure it is ready to tile - moisture levels are paramount with new screeds for this type of work. Check and treble check.

Actually using a pro company but want to make sure they aren't cutting corners if that makes sense. So trying to do as much research as I can to make sure.

Any recommendations on decoupled or is this something I should leave up to a tiler as we will be buying the tiles separately to save on the rulers markup.

Reaction score
Ditra base is good value for money. Although maptex is very thin and probably would be good for letting the heat pass by unhindered.

A

Aruffell

Called around a few places today and most recommend the sxhulter ditra which is coming in around £**** Inc cat for the 70 square metres I need. Does that sound about right?

Any ideas on how much I should be paying a tiler? Had one give me a price of £** per square metre including grout and adhesive.

Thanks,

Andy

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Bill

Called around a few places today and most recommend the sxhulter ditra which is coming in around £*** Inc cat for the 70 square metres I need. Does that sound about right?

Any ideas on how much I should be paying a tiler? Had one give me a price of £** per square metre including grout and adhesive.

Thanks,

Andy
Both seem reasonable but be aware that tilers pricing fluctuates around the country and if they are busy or not.

A

Aruffell

Done some more calls. I'm based in the south east so everything costs more sadly.

Got a quote of £*** per square metre including bal flex adhesive and grout and £*** per square metre for ditra matting supply and fit.

So as a total for matting and adhesive and grout I'm looking at £*** per square metre. Sound reasonable? All I have to do is supply the tiles.

Prices are not permitted in an open forum I'm afraid.

B

Bill

Prices are not permitted in an open forum I'm afraid ........... no wonder my customers always smile at me........

A

Aruffell

Sorry, was typing on my phone in a rush while trying to sort kids out.

Does that seem like a reasonable price overall?

A

Aruffell

So been doing some more digging around and still can't get much of a difinitive answer when it comes to tiling on a new screed.

I've been told by the UFH company that they've priced up a fast drying screed (2-3 days) and said it should be able to have tiles on straight away, but tile giant have said that it could be tricky and I should wait longer, though time isn't something I will sadly have on my side.

Anyone got any advice?

Thanks,

Andy

Reply to A Little Help For Complete Downstairs in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks