Discuss 600x300 travertine wall tile on plasterboard in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

G

GoneGuy

Hi all, been to a quote to put 600x300 travertine on walls in downstairs w/c.
I told customer I was concerned as the walls were plasterboard and I could not locate the battens behind the plasterboard.
Customer wants the tiles on the wall regardless.
Is there anything I could use like Wediboard etc as I know there will be a lot of weight on the walls with these tiles.

Customer living room has been done with similar tiles on plasterboard with tub adhesive By her dad and has had no issues.

G

GoneGuy

Was looking to see if there was battens so the plasterboard wouldn't peel off with the weight

G

GoneGuy

I was going to use powder.
Just read somewhere that plasterboard can only hold up to xxkg per Sq m

G

GoneGuy

I couldn't see any, so done a bit of tapping and it sounded really hollow and couldn't find the battens, so I was worried if I put all the tiles on the wall I would get a call in near future saying the walls have fallen

D

Dumbo

If you are going to Tile it anyway you could locate battens by using small posidrive screw driver to check to see if there are suffient studs there . Once you have found first stud you should then be able to find others at 400 mm spacings . Unless as stated above it is dot and dabbed .

Reply to 600x300 travertine wall tile on plasterboard in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks