Discuss 3mm tub adhesive versus cement ad in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Stevev

TF
Reaction score
What is the advantage of using tub adhesive which typically is spread at a 3mm thickness over cement adhesive which I was trained to use at a thickness of 8mm. I was told once the tub is open it starts to go off and a slow/amateur tiler would be better with cement adhesive. Discuss!!

L

LM

What is the advantage of using tub adhesive which typically is spread at a 3mm thickness over cement adhesive which I was trained to use at a thickness of 8mm. I was told once the tub is open it starts to go off and a slow/amateur tiler would be better with cement adhesive. Discuss!!
There is no advantage!

D

Dumbo

When you say 3mm you surely don't mean a 3mm trowel . Cement adhesive even if slow set will go of quicker than air drying ready mix

Stevev

TF
Reaction score
When you say 3mm you surely don't mean a 3mm trowel . Cement adhesive even if slow set will go of quicker than air drying ready mix

Am I the only person that has read the instructions on these tub adhesives?.....they state a 3mm bed with a square notched trowel or use the spreader supplied. Also says open time of 20-30mins...although I know someone who used it for hours...will the whole tub really be un-useable in 20 mins?

O

Old Mod

Open time is different to pot life!
Open time is the amount of time when it has been spread on a substrate, not in an open tub.
So, no, you're not the only person that reads instructions, its just that some understand it better than others.

D

Dumbo

Am I the only person that has read the instructions on these tub adhesives?.....they state a 3mm bed with a square notched trowel or use the spreader supplied. Also says open time of 20-30mins...although I know someone who used it for hours...will the whole tub really be un-useable in 20 mins?
So do you use 3mm trowel

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
A 3 mm bed doesn't mean you have to use a 3mm notch trowel.....it's what the finished thickness needs to be....so you can use a 6mm trowel and once the tile is fitted and the adhesive ribs squished then the final bed would be 3mm.
The 20min open time refers to the time you have to fit the tile once you have spread the wall to prevent the adhesive skinning over......it doesn't refer to the time the lids off the bucket.....although I wouldn't leave the lid off all night .

Last edited:
O

Old Mod

The 20min open time refers to the time you have to fit the tile once you have spread the wall to prevent the adhesive skinning over......it doesn't refer to the time the lids off the bucket.....although I wouldn't leave the lid off all night .

And I thought you read threads properly Andy :(
Haha

Open time is different to pot life!
Open time is the amount of time when it has been spread on a substrate, not in an open tub.
So, no, you're not the only person that reads instructions, its just that some understand it better than others.

O

Old Mod

Yeh......but I say it better than you...:)
And you didn't know 3mm bed of adhesive ....:)
lol-031.gif

Reply to 3mm tub adhesive versus cement ad in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks