Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 18
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    65
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default packing out tiles>>>>>>>>

    when walls are not flat and bow inwards, tiles need more adhesive and can sometimes come out half a inch from the wall when packed with adhesive. but i had a job recently where the walls where 99% straight and i had this problem that i still had to butter the tiles very thick in places(came out half inch from walls in places). the tiles used where 18 inches long and in brick bond. does anyone know why this is ?

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    1,163
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: packing out tiles>>>>>>>>

    WOW!!! 99% flat that's pretty damn good IMHO. Thre shouldn't be any reson to pack out half an inch if the walls are so flat. There must be some dips and dives in the wall that youv'e missed with the straight edge.Otherwise you gotta work a bit harder to get them to sit flatter to the wall.

  3. #3
    uug197h
    Guest

    Default Re: packing out tiles>>>>>>>>

    is it the walls or are they cheap tiles we have had some that a customer supplyed and it was the tiles that had a bow the tiles looked ok untill you put them on something flat

  4. #4
    TilersForums Black Prince Fekin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Leyland
    Posts
    5,339
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: packing out tiles>>>>>>>>

    Packing out 1/2", you wern't using tubbed gear were you

  5. #5
    DHTiling
    Guest

    Default Re: packing out tiles>>>>>>>>

    i hope not!!!!!!!!!

  6. #6
    TilersForums Black Prince Fekin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Leyland
    Posts
    5,339
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: packing out tiles>>>>>>>>

    Heh, just noticed I used an angry smiley and not the confused one


    ... an angry smiley.... that can only happen in interwebland

  7. #7
    TilingLogistics
    Guest

    Default Re: packing out tiles>>>>>>>>

    Quote Originally Posted by steve9999 View Post
    when walls are not flat and bow inwards, tiles need more adhesive and can sometimes come out half a inch from the wall when packed with adhesive. but i had a job recently where the walls where 99% straight and i had this problem that i still had to butter the tiles very thick in places(came out half inch from walls in places). the tiles used where 18 inches long and in brick bond. does anyone know why this is ?
    Were these tiles porcelain per chance?

    Kev

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    65
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: packing out tiles>>>>>>>>

    they where b and q ceramic. but very hard ceramic, much like porcelain

  9. #9
    TilingLogistics
    Guest

    Default Re: packing out tiles>>>>>>>>

    Quote Originally Posted by steve9999 View Post
    they where b and q ceramic. but very hard ceramic, much like porcelain
    Quite often especially with Large Format porcelain tiles you can get what is called Planimetric tolerances (bending of tiles). It is particularly prevalent in large format tiles and even more noticeable when they are laid brickbond

    Kev

  10. #10
    DHTiling
    Guest

    Default Re: packing out tiles>>>>>>>>

    Quote Originally Posted by TilingLogistics View Post
    Quite often especially with Large Format porcelain tiles you can get what is called Planimetric tolerances (bending of tiles). It is particularly prevalent in large format tiles and even more noticeable when they are laid brickbond

    Kev

    Is that the word of the day kev...........

  11. #11
    Raja
    Guest

    Default Re: packing out tiles>>>>>>>>

    being a professional cowboy i often packed out tiles with white star to thickness which u lot just wud not believe

  12. #12
    TilersForums Black Prince Fekin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Leyland
    Posts
    5,339
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: packing out tiles>>>>>>>>

    ... and they say honesty dosen't pay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Tiles of different thicknesses - packing out with plywood
    By davidt in forum Tile Adhesive Grout
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 13-06-2012, 08:31 AM
  2. packing out wall
    By connors12345 in forum Tile Adhesive Grout
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 23-01-2009, 11:52 PM
  3. packing out steps
    By brian c in forum Tiling Forum
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 03-08-2008, 11:47 PM
  4. Packing floor tiles
    By Brad in forum Tiling Forum
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11-07-2008, 09:02 AM

Visitors found this page by searching for:

packing out tile

how do you pack out tiles


If you like our tiling forum, then perhaps checkout our Electrical Forum or even our professional Plumbing Forum.
Tens of thousands of tradesmen and over 2 million combined posts.


[Output: 99.10 Kb. compressed to 88.09 Kb. by saving 11.01 Kb. (11.11%)]